Monday, December 28, 2009

Paula Deen's Chicken and Rice Casserole

Ingredients:
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced and sauteed
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can pimentos, drained
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
- Pinch salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.


Not bad...my husband liked this more than I did. I did make a few modifications. I used only one can of green beans (which was plenty) and I left out the water chestnuts (didn't have any on hand). Don't forget to saute the onions. Crunchy onions are not my thing and not so good in this casserole. Otherwise easy meal for a work night.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a big fan of Paula Deen's but this recipe was pretty good. I ate on the leftovers for a few days. Tracie and I talked about adding some corn to it.

    The cream of celery was what really set this apart from other casseroles - usually you see cream of chicken or cream of mushroom.

    ReplyDelete