Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Guacamole

My hubs is very difficult to buy for...I don't even attempt to buy presents for him anymore. He orders whatever he wants for his birthday, Christmas, Flag Day or whatever holiday it happens to be, and he's happy. This Christmas the hubby's sister and family presented him with an array of food gifts...hot sauces, bacon cheddar crickets (I'm not kidding)and some chili lime tortilla chips. We tried them last night and I decided that guacamole was the way to go. So I pulled out my new The Pioneer Woman cookbook...which I love...and found her guacamole recipe. It's really her pico de gallo recipe with mushed up avocado. I have one word...yum.

Pico de gallo

Ingredients
- roma tomatoes (equal parts to onion and cilantro)
- yellow or white onion (equal parts to tomato and cilantro)
- fresh cilantro (equal parts to tomato and onion)
- 1 to 2 jalapenos (get rid of the seeds and white membrane if you don't want the HEAT)
- 1 lime
- pinch of salt

Directions
- Dice the tomatoes and onions. Make sure you have equal parts of each. Then grab a handful of cilantro (I LOVE that smell), chop it up. Again make sure you have equal parts to the onion and tomatoes...it really does seem like a lot of cilantro. Now dice up the jalapeno. Mix it up, add the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt. Taste using a tortilla chip to make sure you've got enough salt.

Guacamole
- Slice your avocados lengthwise and remove the pit (I used 3 avocados, but the amount you need depends on how much guacamole you need/want). Put them all in a big bowl or plate and mush it up with a fork...lumps are fine. Add pico de gallo to the mixture and stir. Add in as much as your would like.

The pico de gallo and guacamole will only be good refrigerated for around 24 hours.

I really loved this guacamole and I'm not the biggest fan. Next time...and there will be a next time...I won't use as many onions, maybe cut down by a 1/3rd also I didn't have enough avocados for the amount of pico de gallo I added. So next time, add the pico de gallo a little at a time. Otherwise great pico de gallo and guacomle...great with quesadillas or just on tortilla chips...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment